JapanDict Forum Rules and Guidelines
🙇 Be Respectful & Patient
- Be patient with and kind to all forum participants.
- Disrespect, discourtesy, vulgarity or threats of violence are not tolerated in this community. Abusive comments may be removed by moderators. Repeating offenders may have their accounts banned.
⭕ Community DOs
- DO: Search before posting: There is a good chance a thread about your topic or an answer to your question already exists. Help minimize duplicate posts to ensure useful information gets surfaced easily!
DO: Use informative post titles: Keep titles short, specific and on-topic so the forums are easier to navigate. If you’re asking a question, it should go in the title.
- Bad: I need help with a Japanese word
- Good: What's the proper way to spell 日本?
DO: Respond to feedback: Make sure to check back on your post and reply with any further information requested. Make use of the
@mentionsyntax for notifying a user that you have responded.
- DO: Update the notification preferences: You’ll receive a notification if someone mentions you or posts to a discussion that you’ve bookmarked. You can set notifications from the Edit Profile page.
❌ Community DON'Ts
- DON'T: Spam: Post only once in the category most relevant to your question, comment or concern.
- DON’T: Advertise your business or blog or spam the community: Only include links to your blog or website where it is relevant and helpful to do so.
- DON'T: Register multiple accounts on the JapanDict Forums
- DON'T: Violate existing copyright, patent, trademark or other proprietary rights
- DON'T: Engage in personal attacks: Do not attack fellow users or their comments. Use civil language at all times, even if you disagree with a comment. Do not stalk or otherwise harass others on the JapanDict forums.
- DON’T: Troll the community or respond to trolls: please ignore trolling or flag it and the moderators will handle the situation. What is a troll?
- DON’T: Post personal information: such as email address, postal address, phone number or bank details.
- DON’T: Post inappropriate content: which could be deemed as threatening, harassment, obscene, discriminating, unlawful, racist, sexist or 'adult'.
Posts that meet criteria discussed above may be closed by moderators.
✍️ Formatting Tips
The JapanDict forums support Markdown. You can improve post readability by using the toolbox to format text or do it manually.
- Use subheadings to help split text-heavy posts into clear objectives: You can use this to help organize the text of a post. To organize longer posts with subheadings, use
#for 1st level headers,
##for 2nd level,
###for 3rd level and so on.
- Format blockquotes by placing
>at the beginning of a line
❓ Asking questions
When posting a new thread, it's possible to mark it as a "question". Doing so will allow you to mark the responses as "good" answers and help the others who may have the same problem.
✉️ Contact us
Last updated: May 1st 2018.